What is a POS system?
A point of sale system, more commonly referred to as POS, is a system that allows businesses to perform transactions such as a sale, return or exchange of goods and services. Depending on whether you have a physical shop, sell online, or both, a point of sale system can range from a basic computer and cash register system to a more versatile iPad-based solution that allows businesses to easily process sales and payments from anywhere in your store or out in the field.
What is POS hardware and how does it all work together?
A point of sale system consists of several components:
- Monitor or tablet: A computer-based display monitor enabling users to easily process customer transactions in-store. A tablet or iPad with a POS app installed enables you to process sales and accept payments while on-the-go. This is ideal for mobile-based businesses or retailers looking to add additional pop-up checkouts in-store.
- EFTPOS Terminal: An ‘electronic funds transfer at point of sale’ machine, or more commonly known as an EFTPOS terminal, allows businesses to accept card payments quickly and securely. Spenda’s POS solution comes with a built-in virtual terminal and card reader that enables you to take payment anytime, even if your EFTPOS machine is down. It allows you to completely remove the need for an EFTPOS machine which reduces hardware costs and counter clutter.
- Price Scanner: A price scanner allows users to easily scan the item’s barcode and bring up the pricing and product details. Opt for a physical scanner or choose to use Spenda’s portable iPad-based POS with in-built barcode scanner for a quicker checkout experience. This handy feature also enables you to quickly check stock numbers and pricing on the go.
- Cash Drawer: A cash drawer is essential for holding your cash float and keeping your money secure. You can also connect your cash drawer to your POS software which will allow you to track each time the drawer is opened.
- Receipt Printer: Print a receipt with each sale so your customers have a record of their purchases and expenses.
Our Point of Sale hardware bundles come with everything you need to set up and get started.
Having the right POS system can do wonders for your business processes. It can mean the difference between slow transactions and long queues or quick and easy processes and a better shopping experience.
Ready to implement a better POS system for your business? Download our app and try Spenda free for 30 days.